John Marsden Writing Topic #32
Write your own ‘odd one out’ questions and answer them e.g. popcorn, Queensland, fear, magazine. What’s the odd one out and why?**
What’s the odd one out?
1. Yellow, Red, Blue, Green
2. France, Italy, Germany, Brazil
3. New Idea, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, the Sydney Morning Herald
4. Western Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania
5. Ketchup, Basil, Mayonnaise, Mustard
1. Green. Yellow, Red and Blue are primary colours, Green is a secondary colour.
2. Brazil. Brazil is a country in South America whereas France, Italy and Germany are all in Europe.
3. The Sydney Morning Herald. The Sydney Morning Herald is a newspaper whereas New Idea, Women’s Health and Men’s Health are all magazines.
4. Western Australia. Western Australia is the only state out of the four that doesn’t observe Daylight Saving.
5. Basil. Ketchup, Mayonnaise and Mustard are condiments whereas Basil is a herb.
**Reference: Marsden, J 1998, Everything I Know About Writing, Pan Macmillan, Australia.