John Marsden Writing Topic #83
List ten imaginative ways to reduce car accidents**
1. Wrap cars in bubble wrap
2. Velcro–either Velcro roads or Velcro crash barriers
3. Foam speed bumps
4. Roads made out of jelly or jelly tyres
5. Having a built-in forcefield as a car feature
6. Springs built under the car as a feature to avoid accidents (e.g. bounce over a car, pedestrian and/or hazard)
7. An alert system in the car to keep drivers awake (e.g. an alarm that yells at the driver)
8. Having wings on the car as a built-in emergency mechanism so the car will fly away from a potential accident
9. Buy a Transformer car
10. Make the car out of indestructible material
Some of the ways, specifically the velcro and jelly ways, were inspired by The Simpsons’ episode, Bye Bye Nerdie.
**Reference: Marsden, J 1998, Everything I Know About Writing, Pan Macmillan, Australia.