John Marsden Writing Topic #572
Write ten irresistible opening sentences**
1. I knew I shouldn’t have brought vodka to the party.
2. Why did I ever become a time traveller?
3. I remember the exact moment when I set the office on fire.
4. November 5, 1989 was the day when animals took over the world and it started like any other.
5. Today’s the day I show and tell my mother that I’m a witch.
6. The gates of hell opened to an icy chamber, it turns out hell is literally frozen over.
7. I don’t know why I was so scared of dying.
8. Why on Earth did I tell him how I feel?
9. Time’s running out, I know it won’t be long until everyone realises that I am the murderer.
10. I have five minutes to make an emergency landing my options are a highway, a sand dune and the ocean.
**Reference: Marsden, J 1998, Everything I Know About Writing, Pan Macmillan, Australia.